The Chinmaya Education Movement is one of Chinmaya Mission's most valuable contributions to society. From its humble beginnings in 1967 at a nursery school in Kollengode, Kerala (India), the Movement today encompasses over 76 Chinmaya Vidyalayas (schools), 7 Chinmaya colleges, and the Chinmaya International Residential School in India, and the first Chinmaya Vidyalaya outside India's borders, in Trinidad (West Indies).
In almost 40 years of establishment, growth, and expansion, the Chinmaya Mission's academic institutions in India, administered by the CCMT Education Cell (CCMT is Central Chinmaya Mission Trust, the apex body of the Chinmaya Mission Worldwide), have seen over one million students walk through their halls and graduate through their doors. In the year 2007, there were over 50,000 students enrolled, over 3,500 dedicated faculty members, and over 1,000 administrative staff members.
The resounding success of the Chinmaya Education Movement has been primarily due to its unique vision of offering academic education complemented with spiritual knowledge. This has been made possible through the distinctive foundation programme of learning-the Chinmaya Vision Programme (CVP)-which was formulated, developed, and implemented by the CCMT Education Cell on all levels of each Chinmaya educational institution.
Don't just invest on the child, also invest in the child. 'Investment on' gives outer prosperity. 'Investment in' ensures inner unfoldment and lasting prosperity. True education is 'investment on' the child complemented with 'investment in' the child.
- Swami Chinmayananda
The CCMT Education Cell is the governing body of the Chinmaya Education Movement, and is headquartered at 'Chinmaya Gardens' in Coimbatore, India.
True knowledge removes all that is false in our lives.
Its overall purpose includes the following:
- To monitor, integrate, streamline, upgrade, standardize, and facilitate the efficient and effective maintenance and growth of all Chinmaya educational institutions
- To provide all school officials, from top management, principals, teachers, and administrative staff with visionary, standardized, and timely training and guidance on various levels
- To concretize Swami Chinmayananda’s vision of education through the implementation of CVP (Chinmaya Vision Programme) in all Chinmaya educational institutions
- To continually produce new CVP resource materials and conduct seminars for continuing education
- To provide scholarships and education materials to needy students and schools (see CCMT Education Cell Scholarship Fund and Chinmaya Vidya Nidhi) pl place as link
- To forge effective communication, interaction, and resource sharing among all the institutions under the Education Cell umbrella, thereby fostering a stronger, cohesive Chinmaya Family spirit.
CCMT Education Cell
Nallur Vayal PO, Siruvani Rd
Coimbatore 641 114
Tamil Nadu, India.
Ph: +91-422-261-5663; Fax: +91-422-261-5725
The Chinmaya Vision Programme (CVP) is a comprehensive education programme that integrates the best of Indian culture and Vedantic philosophy with academic learning. CVP aims to nurture all Chinmaya students to be successful and humanitarian world citizens, who adopt and breathe a holistic vision of life-one that allows them to face life and its challenges positively and dynamically, while always generously giving back to society in myriad ways.
Since its inception, CVP has indeed raised the professional calibre and personal value of the Chinmaya institutions, making them noteworthy academic and spiritual forums of modern day. While the child is of course the focal point of this programme, CVP also takes into account and methodically addresses the vital roles of school management, teachers, and parents.
CVP focusses on four main topics for child development: Integrated Development, Indian Culture, Patriotism and Universal Outlook.
- Physical Development: Includes physical fitness, nutrition, hygiene, personal grooming, health education, health assessment, and prevention and treatment of diseases
- Mental Development: To help the child to live in harmony within and with the world; includes emotional expansion, handling emotions, handling relationships, gender-specific education, mental health assessment and counselling
- Intellectual Development: Includes intellectual kindling, independent thinking, management skills, aesthetics, intellectual assessment and guidance
- Spiritual Development: To help the child discover his/her inherent divinity and manifest it in daily life; includes value-based living, philosophy, meditation and yoga
The child is given a wide exposure to the various aspects of India's universal, value-based culture and its deeper imports. With right understanding and knowledge of the significance behind such a lifestyle, the child readily absorbs and inculcates the same values and ideals. Topics include cultural awareness, appreciation of India's vast heritage in literature, art and science, explanations of traditional customs and formalities and cultural motivation through hobbies and projects.
This vital area of focus includes education in citizenship, civic consciousness, national and cultural pride and addressing national issues. The goal is to develop dedicated citizens who honour and take pride in serving their motherland.
Through these teachings, the child learns about unity in diversity, and developing an appreciation, sensitivity and commitment to universal issues. The programme aims to have the child see himself as a responsible citizen of the world, and thereafter live in harmony with creation. To promote this, topics covered include environmental education, synthesis of science and religion and intrinsic microcosm and macrocosm vision.
The Chinmaya Educational Institutions are affiliated to universities and international (International Baccalaureate - IB), central (CBSE, ICSE, etc) or state Boards of Education, guaranteeing high quality education.
They have excellent infrastructure with up-to-date equipment, which enables effective teaching. Schools in the rural areas cater to the needs of the local people.
Inspired Principals, dedicated teachers, supportive management and cooperative parents head these institutions. Chinmaya Vidyalayas are 'schools with a difference' for they have unique holistic vision programmes that create students with a difference.
- Visionary Management: To provide a clear vision, firm foundation of learning, strategic planning for growth and efficient management of resources
- Inspiring Principals: To develop principle-centred principals who are inspired by the overall vision of Chinmaya Vidyalayas, and who step up as movers and shakers to lead their institution to nobler heights
- Dedicated Teachers: To recognize and develop the crux of the institution by continuously motivating their love for knowledge, teaching, and children, so that they may effectively and lovingly, by words and by conduct, inculcate academics, skills, values and philosophy to the next generation
- Cooperative Parents: To help parents be an ideal, hands-on, integral support base for their children, offering them extensive love, care, and joy in a disciplined environment, resulting in their healthy and integrated personality development—one that complements their visionary education at Chinmaya Vidyalayas
- Students with a Difference: Students who learn, imbibe, and live the Chinmaya Vidyalaya vision of Knowledge, Spirit of Service, and Efficiency.
The Chinmaya International Residential School (CIRS) in Coimbatore, India is a distinctive residential school with Grades 5-12, providing its students from India and abroad with an academic and spiritual education programme par excellence.
Through its challenging and specially designed curriculum that parallels junior and senior high schools in the U.S., combined with vital features of India's CBSE syllabus, CIRS additionally and exceptionally rears its students with a deep understanding of Indian culture and Vedantic philosophy. Supported by a dynamic and inspiring infrastructure, CIRS students graduate with self-confidence within and reverence without.
Learn more: www.cirschool.org
Food given in charity (anna-daanam) satisfies one man's hunger for a day, but education given in charity (vidyaa-daanam) empowers a man to make his life and livelihood, and support himself and his dependents. This service of humanity (maanava-sevaa) is the service of the Lord (maadhava-sevaa). To help the needy is our duty and privilege.
Please offer your maanava-sevaa in the form of vidyaa-daanam, and sponsor a child's education so that he can make his own life and livelihood.
Please click to download the CCMTEC Scholarship form.
To offer monetary or in-kind (computers, lab equipment, stationery, etc.) donations for necessary school supplies and learning aids at Chinmaya schools and colleges
Please click to download the Chinmaya Vidya Nidhi sponsorship form.
List of Chinmaya Vidyalayas, which can open as a pop-up table arranged in state order or opens on another page. Please confirm.
Click here for list of Chinmaya School and College
Chinmaya Vidyalaya teachers have been distinguished with grand honours for their mastery in the art of teaching, through which they have enriched young minds with a love of learning and life. All of the award winners below have also been recognized by the CCMT Education Cell with the “Chinmaya Gaurav Award.” We congratulate all the winners and their families for these exceptional accolades.
Click here to see award winners
Chinmaya Gaurav Awards
Chinmaya Vidyalaya students, inspired by their teachers, families, friends, and communities have been honoured with various accolades over the years for their academic and artistic excellence. Also recognized with the CCMT Education Cell's "Chinmaya Gaurav Award," we congratulate these winners and their families, and looking forward to seeing more of these shining stars in paving the roads of the future.
Click here to see award winners
The CCMT Education Cell annually recognizes and honours exceptional Chinmaya schools for their overall excellence in academics, management, spirit, growth, and practice of the Chinmaya Vision Programme.